Tuesday 5 September 2017

Galicia!

As we entered Ribadeo it meant we were in Galicia, From now on we will be heading inland and more directly approaching Santiago.

I have liked every region we have travelled through, and the each have had a very unique character. The area we have walked through the last couple of days is so close to Santiago, but it feels so remote to a walker, sometimes we would walk for 20km without seeing a human or a car. It's milk farm and wood country, and the smells have been really intense: mint, eucalyptus, fresh wood and cow dung :) 

We have been doing shorter distances, my Achilles' tendons have been giving me uphill and Colette has various little foot nigglies. The shorter days has been very nice, we have more time for resting and reading :)

The first day we walked to Gondán, where the pilgrims all pitched in for a communal meal. The next day we stayed in Mondoñedo in a top class Albergue, and guess what.... The circus was in town! Hungry for some entertainment we immediately decided that this is for us! This was a traditional old style circus (no animals) with a tent, pop-corn and some Average performances... all in Spanish. They were calling up volunteers, and we were not many patrons... I was so scared... I could just see how the crowd will laugh when I have to try and explain to the clown "No hable Español". 

After that we went to Gontán and today we are in Vilalba.
In Gontán I was lying on my bunkbed when I heard a familiar the familiar voices of Jen and her 12 year old son Ruben... it was so great to see them and catch up a bit.
In Vilalba when were walking through the isles of the local Supremarket we bumped into Chanelle, what a crazy coincidence, she had been walking up a storm and the next morning we caught up with her over a couple of coffees before she was off to complete her Camino and start some other new adventures.

Tomorrow morning we will be joined by Karin, so excited!





























1 comment:

  1. Dearest Jo & Co, how brave you are. It's so wonderful to read about your experiences.. I wonder how many kilometres you must have walked by now. I hope Karen gives you the biggest hug ever + a foot & back massage. I'm sure you will gain even more energy with her on your team. It's really fascinating to hear how you meet up with some familiar amigos. Keep up the good spirits. 'Eress el mejor' ps: I took a trip down memory lane earlier & scrolled through your adventures of 2013. Happy Days xxx

    ReplyDelete